Saturday, February 6, 2010

Studio Session Equipment

I thought I would start a diary of the equipment and recording techniques used by Genesis in recording The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. Below, find my rantings on what I think I know about the recording sessions. Much of this info is already known and spread out all over the internet, some of my information comes from my own findings and some of this info comes from a very reliable source. The problem being that I can't reveal which is which because of confidentiality but I will share some of the more interesting stuff I have learned about the tracking and mixing of the original LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY.

2 comments:

  1. hello - I read your page about steve hackett's gear with a great interest and I am searching since a ( very ) long time on which fuzz pedal he could get this typical sound of fuzz on the album selling englzand ( solo of fifth of firth or the battle of epping foredt for example ) - did you find exactly this sound with success if yes on which fuzz pedal - my gear is an hiwatt custom 50 + 4x12 xith fane speakers ( both of 70 era ) + lespaul custom + shergold module 5 electric 12 strings + moog taurus mkI--- I thank you very much - philippe ( france )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jim !

    Your writings ("rantings", LOL) on Steve's vintage equipment for The Lamb is both quite in-depth and fascinating..and I thank you for toiling so very hard to assemble this wealth of information!

    I host a very popular, educational/non-commercial YouTube video series which spotlights the "restored" early works of Genesis (with the help of Genesis' in-house engineer * producer Nick Davis..and Steve Hackett, himself).
    They are called "Analysis: Lamb Lies Down", "Analysis: Steve Hackett", "Analysis: The Musical Box", "Analysis: Supper's Ready", etc. - the home for which is my new website: www.LiLeighWhite.com

    My collaborator ("Analog" Mike Piera, of AnalogMan.com) and I are currently working with The Musical Box's Francois Gagnon and Sebastien Lamothe at assembling an in-depth informational page setting Hackett's equipment against what TMB is using on their current LLDOB worldwide tour.
    I would like to ask your permission to use you (and your exceptional blog's info) as a credited background informational source.
    Please e-mail me at my website's attached address: LiLeighWhite@yahoo.com.
    I thank you very, very much for all your exceptional and highly-detailed work!

    All my best,

    Leigh Harris
    LiLeighWhite.com
    (formerly of CBS Television in Arizona)

    ReplyDelete